Tuesday, December 13, 2011

It Could Have Been Me

I am taking this time to reflect on how blessed I really am. Sure, there are things I would like to be different. Of course, I could be in better financial position, have a better car, be a better homemaker, have a better job, live in a better house,... I could go on and on. Things could always be better, but I must remember they could also be so much worse.

I could have no money no car, no job, and no home. There are plenty of people who would love to be in my shoes today. I think about the people I met in the homeless shelter last week, and I weep for myself. Why? Because they had a better perspective on their situation than I have on mine. They knew that other people were outside in the cold trying to find a warm place to sleep. They were grateful for a roof over their heads and warm beds; they had hope for a better tomorrow. They, like Paul, learned to be content in whatever condition they find themselves. It could have been me in that shelter, and I thank God all the more for His provision. It's been nothing but God's grace and mercy that have gotten me this far.

Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:11-13 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment