Monday, November 4, 2013

A Grateful Heart is a Happy Heart

Welcome to November, the month that contains Thanksgiving Day. I have noticed on social media sites that people are trying to post an “I’m grateful for” message every day during the month. It’s a wonderful reminder of how blessed we are. Seeing so many people being very intentional about giving GOD thanks for His goodness and mercy toward us is refreshing. This is in addition to giving thanks every morning, as I’m sure a lot of these people do already.
 
Having a grateful heart makes the rough times easier to bear. When I just start thanking God for what I have, it puts less emphasis on what I don’t have. When I thank God for who He is, I can appreciate His grace and his mercy all the more. If we all spent more time thanking God on a regular basis, instead of asking for things, I believe we (as Christian people) will be more content with whatever situation we happen to find ourselves in.
 
There is nothing wrong with asking God for what we need and desire; He told us in His Word to come to Him and ask. The point I am making is that more time should be spent giving thanks and praise to God. It has been my experience that if I spend more time asking for things, the more I focus on what I don’t have. When I do that, I am unable to be content with the many blessings that I already have. I am much happier focusing on the goodness of the LORD, counting all my blessings, and marveling at the mercy of our loving, heavenly Father.
 
1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NASB)  in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment