Friday, November 14, 2014

Repenting


Repent: to feel such sorrow for sin or fault as to be disposed to change one's life for the better; be penitent.
Details aside, I had to repent today. God brought it to my attention that although I recognized what I did wrong, I never told Him that I was sorry nor asked His forgiveness. So, I had to repent for not repenting! I heard a wonderful message on Sunday about pursuing God, and how that involves a repentant heart. I hadn’t even realized that I wasn’t truly repenting sometimes.
Doing something different because it produces better results is not repenting. It’s logical, and it’s smart, but that isn’t repentance. Repentance is being sorry enough about it that you change for the better. Repentance is going to God, saying, “I messed up. I know that now. Please forgive me.” We have to fess up to the error, so that we can be forgiven. Then we can go forward in peace.

Pretending that you just changed for the better on your own totally defeats the purpose of pursuing God. We need God, His Son, and His precious Spirit to be able to enjoy His presence in blameless holiness. Admitting our shortcomings to Him, and asking Him to help us overcome them is a part of this process of pursuing God.
I John 1:9 (NASB) If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment