Friday, November 12, 2010

Old Wine Belongs in Old Bottles

Matthew 9:17 (King James Version) Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

As diligent Christians, we are constantly being made over by the working of the Holy Spirit.  We are becoming new almost on a daily basis.  Old ways, habits, thoughts, and speech feel uncomfortable in our "new bottles."  Why do we feel compelled to continue doing those old things when the Holy Spirit has shown us something new?  I'm not even talking about sinful things necessarily.  We often get into ruts when it comes to our traditions and religions.  Just because we've always done something a certain way doesn't mean we have to continue doing it that way.  How will we know that something else isn't better or more fitting?

For example, we always do the slow song first and then the fast song.  Who cares about the tempo of the song?  We need to arrange the service for the flow of the Holy Spirit, not what tickles our ears and gears up our emotions.  We must give up those familiar traditions, no matter how comfortable, for the new work that God wants to do in our lives and in our churches.  If we are allowing ourselves to be made over, why aren't we trusting God to do the new work in and through us, as well?

My old bottle is gone, so I threw out the old wine with it.  If my prayer is for the Lord to make me over into something new, I certainly want Him to show me the new work (or new way of doing the work) that He would have me implement in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment