Saturday, November 5, 2011

My New Love Motto

Let all that you do be done in love. (1 Corinthians 16:14 NASB)

I've decided that this verse is my new motto. It sounds very simple and easy, but if I examine my motives for absolutely everything I do (at home, at school, at play), I think I will be surprised. If I don't act and react in love, then what am I doing? Certainly not following Christ, that's for sure. His commands are to love God with all my heart, soul, and mind, and to love my neighbor as myself. Love was at the heart of everything Jesus ever did.

I Corinthians 13 gives us a picture of what love does and doesn't look like, and that should be our model. No pretense, no hidden agendas, no ladder climbing, no need for recognition or praise. We should do things just because our hearts are bursting with love. Charity is more than a tax deduction; it's our duty as human beings. No one should ever rejoice in the suffering of another person. We like to talk about reaping what you sow,....but God forgave us, didn't He? He extended His mercy to us when we didn't deserve it.

We need to extend mercy to our fellow man. We need to offer our love through every action we take. Love isn't spiteful or revengeful. Love is kind and merciful; love is gracious and forgiving. Love is what we should demonstrate if the spirit of God is in us because God is love!

No comments:

Post a Comment