Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Forget What You Think You Know

2 Timothy 2:15 (NASB) Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
 
This has always been one of my favorite verses for as far back as I can remember.  Psalm 119:11 is also one of my favorites.  "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." (KJV)  We should never get tired of reading and studying the Word of God.  New revelations are received with every reading, every hearing.
 
I am about to embark upon a journey that I have begun so many times and never made it through:  to read through the entire Bible.  I get bored with the genealogies or bogged down in the measurements, and I just give up.  There is so much to be discovered in this #1 bestseller of all time!  There are so many treasures that I find through random readings that I can only imagine the gems that await me in a thorough read-through.
 
Sometimes we have preconceived notions of things that are in the Bible, false interpretations, errors in our applications, and just general confusions.  I am going to put away everything that I think I know about the Bible, and just begin as a blank slate.  My prayer is that the Holy Spirit will reveal new, fresh, and insightful things to me day by day.  I am also requesting the prayers of my friends that I stay on course this time and not quit before the goal is accomplished.
 
I have registered for an on-line Bible study that I would like to recommend to you as well.  It's entitled Cookies on the Lower Shelf by Pam Gillaspie (a Precept Ministries study).  If I do all 3 10-week segments, I will have gone through the Bible in 30 weeks!  I'm excited to learn all the new (to me) things that God has ready to unfold.  If you're itnerested in registering for this particular on-line study, here's a link for you -http://cookiesot.wordpress.com/?utm_source=blog&utm_medium=cookie&utm_campaign=c1

No comments:

Post a Comment